Today, in the late afternoon Benjamin Verdonck rang me up to ask me if it was ok if he plays some Ultra Eczema releases during his new theatre play, and that he is calling slightly late as tonight the play starts at Bourla in Antwerp, and how that could be arranged financially.
I went to see the play tonight and must say it is the best work i have seen of him so far. 'Aren' shows many corners of Benjamin's work, things i had long forgotten about, that threw me back to the 1990's when i saw him dance on the street in his fat man suit, or his collections of found objects, which i saw in an exhibition at De Brakke Grond quite long ago as well. I warmly recommend to go see Aren! You can see a large part of his collection, some home fabricated fragile sculpture, lots of hilarious stories, ideas, situations, emails, dancing, moving images and a selection of records. He is playing full sides of the Hiele-Martens LP, the first Edmond De Deyster LP and the Sigtryggur Berg Sigmarsson & Dan Melchior, all on Ultra Eczema, and he played a full side of the long forgotten 10" 'Hoekzetel Bruno' by I Love Sarah, a 10" i had not heard in at least 8 years and quite enjoyed. A perfect evening!
We are also quite excited to tell you about some records that will come out this year on Ultra Eczema:
- W. Ravenveer LP (finally, the first LP by this Antwerp based synth legend!!)
- Speleocombo 7" (2 Velvet Underground songs sung in Dutch, recorded in 1988 at Poffert De Nul!)
- Miaux LP (Her third LP with UE!!)
- Noor 7" (finally, after 2 miss pressings, the first single of confused rollercoaster pop tunes, topped with a voice as deep as het zwembad van Brasschaat)
- Frank Hurricane LP (Re-inventing words that needed a new meaning anyway over beautiful folk classicism)
- Blake Hargreaves LP (a collection of recordings made on organs in different churches all over Europe)
- RTVS LP (a archival collection of oddball "music" by ex situationist Rudi Renson and his pal Roland Rom, this one will be a full time job..)